For riders that frequently find themselves in riding conditions that require extensive idling of their motorcycle, selected Harleys® are equipped with an Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS).
What models have this feature?
. 2008 - 2016 Touring models with the Twin Cam Engine
. 2017-present (All models that have the Milwaukee-Eight engine)
For most models equipped with EITMS, it can be enabled or disabled by performing the following procedure.
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and push the engine OFF/RUN switch on the right handlebar to the RUN position (do not start the motorcycle).
2. Push the throttle to rolloff position and hold.
3. See Instrument Lamps. After approximately 3 seconds, the cruise indicator lamp will either flash green (EITMS enabled) or red (EITMS disabled).
4. Repeat the procedure as needed to enable or disable EITMS.
EITMS will activate when all of the following conditions are met:
- Engine temperature is greater than 165°C
- Twist grip opening is at idle
- Vehicle speed under 1 mph 2 km/h Engine speed under 1200 RPM
EITMS will disable (rear cylinder will fire again) if any one of the following occurs:
- Engine temperature falls below 135°C
- Twist grip opening is greater than idle
- Vehicle speed exceeds 2 mph 3 km/h Engine speed exceeds 1350 RPM
- Clutch is released with vehicle in gear
The idea is that when the engine temperature reaches a predetermined point, the system will turn the rear cylinder fuel injector off, and then proceeds to act as a “air pump” to cool the engine.
This is a really neat addition to Harley® bikes, that is often overlooked. Reference your guide to check if your bike has the EITMS system or come in-store and chat to one of our qualified technicians. Visit Harley Davidson® Canberra, 281 CANBERRA AVE, FYSHWICK, ACT 2606. Call (02) 6185 0516 today!
Wanting to keep up with the latest news, events, reviews and specials? Subscribe to our monthly newsletter today, and be entered to win $100 to spend in-store on parts, accessories and motorclothes®.